The church of Santa Maria degli Angeli was built in 1608 at the behest of the priest and writer Bartolomeo Zucchi, who died of plague in 1630.
Heir to an ancient and noble family, the Zucchi wanted to erect a public church near his father’s house, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, exactly on the place where on 11 August 1578 San Carlo Borromeo had healed a noblewoman from Monza suffering from serious ailments.
The church, officiated by the Jesuits, was enriched with valuable works of art; however, between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries the seventeenth-century building was destroyed to allow the widening of the street and in its place was erected the current church with neo-Gothic forms, work of the architect Spirito Maria Chiappetta.
Inside is preserved the fresco representing the Dormitio Virginis, coming from the destroyed church of San Michele, work attributed to a painter from Rimini, dated around 1320.